Jobs at AquacultureTalent : Head of Biology in Edinburgh, United Kingdom - AquacultureTalent
An advocate for the health and welfare of our salmon and cleaner fish stock, providing expertise to the business in all aspects of aquaculture, from understanding and managing the growth in both freshwater and marine hatcheries and farms to supporting the communication process with local and industry stakeholders.
- Fish Health – design and implement a preventative health strategy to include vaccination forecasting, disease surveillance and stock assessments.
- Lice Control Strategy – Continually review & implement new approaches to ensure SSC is achieving industry best practise. Strategic treatment planning and integrated sea lice management plan.
- Continuous Improvement – Direct research activities in key fish health areas, developing SOPs and training materials. Engagement in industry driven/related research.
- Internal & External Audit – Drive a biology internal audit process, in conjunction with other compliance departments to deliver best practise. Working with other departments to support the External Audit process.
- Team Development - ensure that the appropriate team structures are in place, and are resourced by the right quality of people who reflect the Values and the needs of the Business. Owns training and development of the individuals in the teams to enable progression to resource growth or to replace current roles.
- Cleaner Fish Program – manage supply of cleaner fish to marine production through farmed and wild caught cleaner fish. Work with Marine production to develop the program to ensure best practise and continuous improvement, with the aim to reduce/eliminate the requirement for wild caught wrasse.
- Measurement & Control - develops appropriate KPIs that are cascaded through the teams. Ensures that these KPIs are used at all levels through the teams to improve business performance.
- Financial Management - formulate and agree the Biology budget plans which form an integral part of the overall Business Plan. Controls the total expenditure to meet or better the budget, and controls the authorised capital expenditure to achieve or better agreed returns, ensuring in both of these that the business gets the best value solutions.
- External Stakeholders – Lead the SSC relationship with all relevant external and regulatory bodies such as SEPA & Marine Scotland. Providing research / reports as required for specific information requests e.g. due diligence, post incident or health related projects.
Nice to have
Analytical approach, experience of working as a specialist central biological or veterinary resource. A wide working knowledge of fish diseases. A wide knowledge of legislation e.g. Marine Scotland, Fishers Act & Aquaculture and quality and customer standards. A working knowledge of the salmon production process and how it relates to product quality. Understands the impact on the environment by fish farming. Excellent IT skills, able to produce detailed analytical reports. Ability to work in isolation and within a team and to show initiative as required. Role will involve extensive travel, both nationally and internationally.